Long-Range Wireless Intercom
The MURS Multi-Mile Base Wireless Intercom works extremely well for communicating within a home or business, but it can also be used for communicating over long distances. It is definitely the wireless intercom you need if you have a large property or you need to talk between buildings. With this first-of-its-kind intercom you can even add a handheld unit to your MURS intercom system so you can stay in touch up to four miles away from your home.
MURS is short for Multi-Use Radio Service. This is a newly created service by the FCC in the United States. It is a low power, short range service in the VHF (Very High Frequency) 150 MHz Two-Way radio spectrum in which you do not need a license to operate a MURS station.
Previously the FCC came out with the Family Radio Service (FRS) in which you can find handheld units, but no intercom systems based on this service. MURS has a power increase of four times that of FRS radio. And unlike FRS, you can add a larger or external antenna to improve range. If you want to put an antenna on top of your house, you can do it with MURS! Some antenna manufacturers claim an external antenna can increase the effective radiated power of a transmitter by a factor of 4.
You can add an unlimited number of portable and base units together. Put a base unit in your house and when you walk the neighborhood, you can use a handheld unit to keep in contact with home. Put one in you mother's house down the street to stay in touch. Or simply use them to communicate between floors or rooms in your house or business.
This MURS Multi-Mile Base Intercom does not wall mount, but we do have a MURS unit that does. If you need features not found on this intercom system, also compare it to the MURS Commercial Intercom System .
MURS intercoms do not have a continuous monitor mode so they cannot be used like a baby monitor.
For Frequently Asked Questions about these intercoms see the MURS Wireless Intercom FAQS
If you need an external antenna for a MURS Intercom, then click on this link: MURS Antenna
What is the range of these radios?: 2-Way Radio Range: How Far Can Two-Way Radios Communicate?
"I just wanted to let you know how very pleased my parents are with the MURS Multi-Mile Base Intercoms they purchased. They live on a farm with an all metal construction workshop about 200 feet from the house. That poses no problem at all for this system! With one unit at each end of the house and another in the shop, they can communicate so easily! Dad is 91 and Mom is 86 and Dad loves to spend time building things in the heated shop. Now they are able to "check-in" with each other, without having to go out in the cold and snow! The clarity of these units is amazing! As clear a hardwired landline! This system really adds an element of safety to their lives. I am so glad I found your site, with the 45 day return policy, etc. All the items were shipped very promptly, well packed and so easy to set-up! Thanks again for your help." Ken Reynolds, Greeley, CO
"We purchased the MURS 4 Mile Range and MURS Commercial Intercoms because one of our Preschool classrooms is far removed from the office - there was no way of communicating electronically/ rapidly which is of special concern in case of emergency. We decided to purchase the outdoor Callbox XT [along with this base station intercom] to put out on our playground.
The classroom piece of the intercom has saved much frustration and time simply by eliminating the need for a staff member to either leave her classroom to walk to the office or vice versa. Our office staff (one of whom is handicapped) LOVES them because they don't have to get up and down repeatedly to deliver messages/ gather information, etcetera. It's all done through the new intercoms. They provide peace of mind in case there is an emergency." Stephanie Molina, Southwest Child Care and Education Centers, Albuquerque, NM
"We bought the MURS Intercom for use in our large in-house exercise facility. We like its size, range, and voice clarity. It gave us range we needed and communications are clear. What we really like is the installation savings since we didn't have to pay for an expensive commercial electrician to pull wires" Zane J., Houston, TX
"My 5 year old great nephew Joey and his father built a house on our property about a quarter mile away. My great nephew is paralyzed and in a wheelchair. We wanted to make sure that he had an easy way to communicate directly with us after they moved in to their house. They don't have a phone line and Joey can't yet use a cell phone so the MURS intercom gives him the security of always being able to get in touch with us and vice versa! It also saves money on cell phone calls. We like its ease of operation, clear sound, and long distance. I wouldn't change a thing about it!" Melissa Page-Fockler, Humbird, WI
"My mother lives 2 blocks down the road from me, and she is not in good health. I needed an intercom system that was easy to use and had the range to reach her. The MURS intercom fit my needs and is a good value Now if she needs me all she has to do is press a single button and I can be there in a hurry." Karen Price, Columbus, MS
"We ordered three base stations. We put two in a big totally enclosed metal building and one in a house 400 feet away. We are sooooooooo pleased with the units " Jerry and Emilie Warren, Cumming, GA
"We needed a wireless intercom to use between offices in an old building where running physical cables was next to impossible. The MURS Intercom provided the range we needed without FCC license requirements, and they saved us from costly installation of cabling Using the different channels is also very easy". Archie Goyne, High Ridge, MO
You may also want to consider the MURS Commercial Intercom to see if it is a better fit. See a comparison here: MURS Base Station Intercom Comparison
Try the MURS Wireless for 45 days and if you are not absolutely delighted, send it back for a full refund of the purchase price.
Click Here to See Where We Ship MURS Intercoms
- Installs and sets up in minutes.
- The base station unit is powered by a plug-in AC to DC transformer (not battery powered). The power supply is included with this unit.
- Transmission power output: 1.65 Watts
- Fully expandable to an unlimited number of intercom stations. Add additional intercoms to your system as needs change.
- Monitor button is used to monitor conversations on sub-channels to see if there are any conversations before you transmit. (This feature does not work like a baby monitor and cannot be used to continuously monitor an area around the intercom. The FCC does not allow continuous transmit in this frequency.).
- Removable antenna allows use of external antennas.
- Four call tones to page other users.
- Turning on Lock capability keeps others from changing channels and other features.
- Each unit has five channels with 38 sub-channels.
- Earphone jack for private listening.
- Base station units can also receive a signal from the MURS Alert 4 mile wireless motion detector that can be easily set up in nearly any location to monitor and notify when someone has entered a monitored area.
- Normally open relay connections on the back of the base unit for use with the MURS Alert system.
- Will communicate up to 4 miles on the South Dakota prairie or similar open topography. Expect your range to be less in buildings, with electrical interference, or with obstructions in the way.
- No FCC license required for operation.
- One year warranty from the date of purchase.
- Free manufacturer technical support.
- Dimensions: 4.75w x 5.75d x 1.75h
- This intercom CANNOT be used to unlock a gate or door.
- 12 Volt DC power supply included.
- Not wall mountable